Veteran Affairs

General Information

Lively Technical College is approved for training of qualified veterans under the Veterans Readjustment Benefit Act of 1966. Training is also approved for most programs under Public Law 894 (Disabled Veterans) and Public Law 634 (War Orphans). Only programs taught on–site are approved for veterans’ benefits. Interested students should contact: Veterans Affairs office at 850-487-7422.

Any veteran or other eligible student who receives benefits under Chapter 30, Chapter 1606, Chapter 1607 or Dependents’ Education Assistance (DEA) Chapter 35. Will be entitled to one deferment each academic year and an additional deferment each time there is a delay (documentation from VA required) in the receipt of benefits. Any veteran who receives benefits under Chapter 31, Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) will be entitled to receive a deferment each semester. Interested students should contact Veterans Affairs Office in Student Services for more information and policy requirements.

If you are using benefits for the first time you must file an application with the Department of Veterans Affairs.  Students who have used their benefits before at a different school must file the appropriate form with the Department of Veterans Affairs. VA will inform you if any more information is needed to complete your application for benefits.  Once your application is complete, VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility telling you the length of eligibility.

The application process and registration must be completed before a student can be certified and start receiving benefits. Students will be certified no later than 30 days after drop-add has ended or after their request for certification whichever is later. Questions regarding benefit eligibility or needed form to determine eligibility should be directed to VA at 1-888-442-4551.  Allow 30 to 45 days for all paperwork to be processed by VA.

Credit for Previous Education and/or Training

A written record of previous education and training of the Veteran or eligible person which clearly indicates that appropriate credit has been given by the school for previous education and training, with the training period shortened proportionately. The record must be cumulative in that the results of each enrollment period must be included so that it shows each subject undertaken and the final result. i.e., passed, failed, incomplete or withdrawn.

Required Forms

Federal Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

DD-214 (member 4 copy)

Marriage Certificate (if spouse of Veteran)

Birth Certificate (if dependent)

VA Form 28-1905 (if using VA Vocational Rehabilitation)

Attendance for Students on VA Benefits

Veterans will follow Lively’s attendance policy. The goal of Vocation Education is to develop the skills and attitudes needed for job entry into your chosen profession. Regular attendance is mandatory. VA students will maintain attendance standards for VA benefits eligibility as follows: Students exceeding 20% total absences for any calendar month will be terminated from their VA benefits. Students, who have been terminated due to attendance, may be re-instated/re-certified upon attending one month of satisfactory attendance.

Programs that are required to meet federal and state licensure requirements and lockstep program may require standards of progress and attendance more stringent than those outlined above. These programs will provide each student at the beginning of their training a written copy of the program’s standards of progress requirements.

Grades for Students on VA Benefits

Veterans will also be evaluated every month on grade average. Any Veteran dropping below a “C”/2.0 average on a monthly evaluation will be placed on academic probation for one month and VA benefits will be terminated at the end of the month if the grade does not improve. Reinstatement of benefits is possible after an evaluation period, which shows that the veteran has met the required grade average.

Progress for Students on VA Benefits

Veteran students are expected to maintain satisfactory progress within their vocational program area. A monthly evaluation showing unsatisfactory progress will result in the veteran being placed on academic probation. If the veteran does not improve and show satisfactory progress by the end of the probationary month, VA benefits will be terminated at the end of the probationary month. Reinstatement of benefits is possible after an evaluation period, which shows that the veteran has made satisfactory progress.

Allowing Veterans to Attend or Participate in Courses Pending VA Payment


Section 103 of Public Law (PL) 115-407, ‘Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018,’ amends Title 38 US Code 3679 by adding a new subsection (e) that requires disapproval of courses of education, beginning August 1, 2019, at any educational institution that does not have a policy in place that will allow an individual to attend or participate in a course of education, pending VA payment, providing the individual submits a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under Chapter 31 or 33.

Pending Payment Compliance

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679(e), Lively Technical College adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from VA.

Lively Technical College will not:

  • Prevent the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce the VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) by the first day of class;
  • Provide a written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Veteran Resources

Know your Benefits https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/

Vet Center https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/facility.asp?ID=558

Leon County Veteran Service Center http://cms.leoncountyfl.gov/Home/Departments/Office-of-Human-Services-and-Community-Partnership/Veterans-Services

CareerSource https://www.careersourcecapitalregion.com/


How do I apply?

All applications are found on the following VA benefit websites.



How long does it take for VA to process my application?

When applying for benefits, allow 30 -45 days for you application to be processed.  During heavy processing times it may take longer.

Do I have to have a COE to register for school?

No. A printed copy of your application or a printout showing what benefits you are eligible for. Students that are denied benefits or the benefit does not cover 100% of tuition and fees will be required to pay the difference.

How do I check on the status of my application?

Contact VA at 1-888-442-4551

How do I receive the out-of-state tuition waiver?

A Veteran who received an honorable discharge from the U.S Armed Forces, U.S Reserve Forces or National Guard who physically resides in Florida while enrolled in Lively Technical College is eligible to receive the tuition waiver.

Can I receive financial aid while receiving VA benefits?

Yes. All Veterans are encouraged to apply for financial aid. Financial Aid application can be found at www.fafsa.ed.gov , for questions regarding financial aid contact Student Services at 850 487-7473.

How are my books paid for?

The books and supplies stipend is a lump sum payment paid directly to the student when the school’s enrollment certification is processed. The maximum stipend is $1000.00 per academic year.

How long does it take for my certification to be processed?

Once the school submits your enrollment certification there are many things that can affect your processing time. In general it takes four to six weeks to process a claim. This can be delayed due to the volume of claims the VA receives. Also if you are receiving benefits under Chapter 30 or Chapter 1606 you must verify your enrollment to VA at the end of each month in order to receive payment of the month.